Friday, October 29, 2010

Apology Overload

The older I've gotten, the more I seem to say it. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I missed your call. I'm sorry I didn't give you the remote when I left the room. I'm sorry I'm taking up space on the sidewalk that you clearly own. I'm sorry you waited so long to buy tickets so that now, the event is sold out. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry. I have become the I'm Sorry Robot. The response is automatic and on permanent repeat.

You see, we as women are taught that it is our nature to be kind, gentle, giving, and caring. But when did I let that erase me, who I am? When did I let I'm sorry dominate what I wanted, what I dreamed of for myself? You may not like my decision, so do I need to apologize for that? And apologize for what - for making a decision, or that you aren't happy with my decision? I used to have somewhat of a crust on me, but that's all gone so that the gooey mess on the inside is all that's left. And I'm swimming in that gooey mess, getting sucked down into it just like Princess Buttercup gets sucked into the lightning sand in the Fire Swamp. But I don't have Westley to save me. I don't need or want Westley to save me. I am not going to apologize for that. Anymore.

Is it ever appropriate to say I'm sorry? Sure. I am sorry I hurt your feelings. I am sorry I made a decision that completely changes what you thought the rest of your life would look like. I am so sorry for your loss. Completely appropriate and truly heartfelt. Forgetting to put the cap back on the toothpaste? Um, no. Going for a walk instead of doing the laundry? Nope. Writing a blog to try to get out what's in my head and express how I feel? No way.

So stop saying I'm sorry. For one day. Think it's easy? Go ahead, try it. I triple dog dare you. Let me know how you do, and I'll let you know how I do. And I am not sorry for the breach in etiquette!

Ready. Set. Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment