Sunday, October 31, 2010

Laundry Day

Laundry. Ugh. No matter how often we do it, there's more that needs to be done. It's a never ending cycle! The dirty needs to be washed clean and made new again. So we do it, whether we want to or not. Then we turn around, strip down, and start a new pile of dirty. Do you see where I'm going with this? Let's see...

Just like laundry, life is in a never ending cycle of learning, growing, and stretching until the day we die. I've ignored parts of the cycle for quite some time, suffered through others, and enjoyed a few. It's time to examine them all. I have to take my dirty and wash it to make it new again. Just because it's dirty doesn't mean that we just throw it out! Stains get added over time, the color fades, and the fabric stretches and loses its shape. But it's still wearable and could ultimately be made into something new. We just need to use our imagination or change our view of that shirt. Those shorts. That jacket. 

I've always viewed my shirt, my shorts, my jacket, as a cover up. To hide something that shouldn't be seen. To protect what is beneath it. What if I used them to accent what is already there? To bring it out to breathe at last? No, I'm not talking about stripping down to become an exhibitionist. Not my personality! I'm just talking about using what your parents gave you, in a sense, and moving forward with that. I can't change who I am, how I was molded, my past experiences that influence my future, but I can grow with all of it over time and learn to love it all. I just can't ignore the laundry, stains and all. I should not throw it out because it's old, worn, and faded, but add to it with the new to create something special. Because I deserve that. We all do.

It does no good to ignore the laundry. It just piles up on us and overwhelms us. I need to start digging out from underneath my pile. And add to it. Glorify and revel in it!

Wash. Spin. Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment